1st Annual Monster Gladiator Challenge In Payson, Arizona
May 18, 2017 – PAYSON, AZ: The Town of Payson is proud to announce the details for our “Salute To Veterans” Ceremony that will happen on June 3, 2017 at 6:30 PM at the Payson Event Center. This special “Tribute” will kick off the 1st Annual Monster Gladiator Challenge that will showcase the top 10 Male and Female’s that competed in the Mogollon Monster Mudda 5k Race earlier in the day. General Admission is only $5 and Veterans get in free.
The night will start off with a special video that will be played on the giant jumbotron from Former President of the United States, Ronald Reagan titled “Peace Through Strength”. At the end of the video Don McDowell with Shake, Rattle and Troll Radio and fellow Patriot will drive his M923A2 Army Truck in to the “Coliseum of Terror” (Main Arena). He will have several distinguished guests riding in the back of his truck, Including: Congressman Paul Gosar who will make a patriotic speech and present a special award to the following list of Active Military and Retired Veterans who have served their country. After Congressman Gosar is done, Payson’s own Leann River will sing the National Anthem.
1. Jeffery J. Frazey, Major-Currently AZNG 1998-current, formerly US Army 1991-1995, Traditional Guardsmen 1995-1998 Key deployments: Somalia 92’-93’, Haiti 94’, Bosnia 2002-2003. Hurricane Katrina 2005, Kyrgyzstan 2007, Iraq 2010-2011
2. Andrew J. Goettl, Sergeant First Class-Currently AZNG 2/285th Assault Helicopter Company, formerly US Army 1988, 101st Airborne Division, 2nd Infantry Korea, and 160th SOAR. Deployed to Operations Desert Shield, Desert Storm, Operations Restore Hope. Joined AZ Army National Guard 1996 deployed to Operation Iraqi Freedom III 2005
3. Robert C. Dyer, Master Sergeant-Currently AZNG Alpha Company 158th Infantry Regiment (Bushmasters), formerly US Army & AZNG, Alpha Company 1st Battalion 5th Calvary Regiment, Alpha Company 1st Battalion 506th Infantry Regiment, Fox Troop 1st Squadron 11th armored Cavalry Regiment, Alpha Company Recruiting and Retention Command
4. Cat Thor, Sergeant, US Army, Infantry, Ranger-Airborne, Air Assault, 126th Task assigned to 3rd Infantry Recon1986-1990
5. James E. Hale, Petty Officer, 2nd Class US Coast Guard, 1986-1996
6. David Esparza, Private US Army, currently Flotilla Commander, USCG Aux Sector San Diego, Division 10-11
7. Gary A. Dale, Sergeant, US Army, Chu-Lai, Pu-by, DMZ, Vietnam 1965-66
8. John J. Koleszar Sr., Private US Army, WWII-Germany, 1942-45
9. Vernon D. Bagley, 1st Lt US Army, Vietnam
All Veterans will be allowed to attend this event FREE of charge. We encourage all veterans to come and enjoy the night. We would ask all of them to show up about 6 PM that night and make their way to the Grande Entry Gate of the main arena. As the music starts to play and the Ronald Reagan video is being played we would ask that they walk into the arena. They will then be saluted by Congressman Gosar and the crowd for their love of country and their service to their fellow man.
The Monster Gladiator Challenge will then start. Modeled after the Roman Coliseum of old, these top 20 athletes will show their gladiator stamina and strength as they compete over 20 different obstacles on their way to the finish line. In order to qualify these top 20 athletes had to finish in the top 10 male or female during the Mogollon Monster Mudda 5k Race earlier in the day. They will be competing head to head for the title of “Monster Gladiator” and winner of a $1,000 cash prize. The athlete with the top over all time will be named the 2017 Monster Gladiator.
This event will be held at the Payson Multi-Event Center, located at: 1400 S. Beeline Highway, Payson, AZ 85541. Gates will open at 5:30 PM and the show will start at 6:30 PM.
For more information and details call:
Town of Payson
Parks, Recreation and Tourism Office
or via email: [email protected]